Thursday, May 12, 2016

Technique Thursday #18-2016

Today's Technique Challenge is the
Black Magic Coloring Technique.

Here's a video on the process:


Be sure to like the video and subscribe to StampTV's channel. 
Gina does awesome tutorials.

Let's see what Kim came up with for this technique.


 

This is the first time I've tried this technique, but it won't be the last as it's fun and easy and looks very elegant.  I stamped my flower image from SU's Butterfly Basics with White Pigment Ink on Basic Black card stock.  As it has to be good and dry before you start coloring it, I set it aside for an hour while doing other things.  I colored the image with colored pencils, 3 different shades from pink to purple for the flowers and two shades of green for the leaves and stems.  I highlighted with a White Gelly Roll Pen.  Then I cut it using Spellbinder's oval die.  I wanted to fill that open space, so I cut a butterfly with an Embosslits and colored it using the same process with the Watercolor Wings stamp.  I also used the greeting from Watercolor Wings.  I finished off the image adding a hand drawn border of lines and dots around the oval.  

For the card base, I used a cut file from the Silhouette store which I resized to work with my oval.  I cut the base in Basic Black and the mat in Whisper White.  I wanted a mat to bring some complementary color, but Spellbinders didn't have a size I could use, so I scanned the black image oval into my computer, imported it into my Silhouette design program and offset it to make a mat 1/8" larger.  I cut this from Perfect Plum card stock.  

Inside I typed a sentiment I found on the Internet on an oval the same size as the image and matted it on another Perfect Plum oval.  ~Kim from Katydid Cards


  

I did this technique recently for a swap.  I used an Impression Obsession background stamp using 
white craft ink.  I then used my Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers to color in the solid circles. ~Theresa

We'd love to see what you do with this challenge.
Post your card to social media and tag us #CADCBlog.

Your card just might be featured on the blog.

Happy Crafting
Theresa & the CADC DT




2 comments:

  1. Cute cards. I recently found the StampTV channel on Youtube and love the tutorials there. Lots of great ideas including this one. Of course it also led me to more stamps I want. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Theresa, that card is a stunner! I love StampTV, too, Denise...spent many hours there and many dollars as a result, LOL

    ReplyDelete