Thursday, August 18, 2016

Technique Thursday #27-2016

We are doing the same technique all month on Thursdays.  It is word clustering and here is a link to see one way to do this type of card -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJY_jxkJgk

Colleen made this wonderful card utilizing some great stamps - 

This is a fun, fun technique that uses your sentiment and small stamps to create cool backgrounds!  Selecting stamps from Catherine Pooler's "Beautiful World" collection (and finding inspiration on the Stampnation website's tutorial on sentiment backgrounds), I stamped them strategically(in Stampin Up's Tip Top Taupe) on a piece of white 4.0 x 5.25 cardstock, creating mini sentences such as "So happy for you" and "You make me smile".   Basically I created a rectangle of word sentiments, going this way and that way, that flows nicely because of the strategic placing of the words.  This may take some advance planning, especially with word sentiments.  I chose one mini sentence as a focal point by stamping it in a different color ink (Stampin Up's Blackberry Bliss) so that it pops out, and matched that ink color with the background cardstock (Blackberry Bliss) to give the card balance.  I LOVE those two colors from Stampin Up, but any two colors that blend nicely together will do.  Lastly, I adhered the stamped piece to the colored background and placed both onto a white A2 card base.  Stampnation does a wonderful job explaining the many ways to use this technique.  - Colleen


And here is my take on the technique - 



Word Clustering wasn’t something I had done before, but since I have so many stamps, it was a fun way to use a lot of them.  I made a graduation card and used various sentiments from the following stamp sets – Fiskars Sentimentals and In Search of Adventure, TPC Graduation, Just Rite Class Sentiments, and Close to my Heart Timely Tidings.  At least I think those were all of them.  I had so many sets out to get just a word or two, I might have missed some, lol.  I cut out the name of the graduate using my Explore.  I laid the letters on the green background that I had taped to my homemade Misti.  I played around with the position of the various stamps to get a good fill on the area around the name.  When I closed the lid, all of the stamps stick to it and I could remove the letters to do the actual stamping and since it took a couple of inkings to get good coverage on all of the stamps, I love that I can use my homemade stamp positioner.  I made it from directions I found on Pinterest.  I gilded the letters of the name and a line around the center of the card using Golden Glitz Metal Flakes. I then attached the letters to the middle of the words and popped the panel up on foam.  – Denise Sayers





2 comments:

  1. Colleen, I love how you made the message in black to stand out from the rest of the words. It is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, what a great card! It must have taken a lot of patience. Denise, Wow that gilding looks fantastic on that dark background. I bet you were very happy you had the MISTI with this job!

    ReplyDelete